Don't cook in the garage! Newly-licensed driver accidentally crushes wife, mother-in-law with car

sad 发表于 2009/07/17 19:18 一品 美好家园 (www.ywpw.com)

加跟贴 发新贴

Newly-licensed driver accidentally crushes wife, mother-in-law with car

Driver had just gotten his license

05:31 PM CDT on Friday, July 17, 2009

KHOU.com staff report and Ron Trevino / 11 News

HOUSTON -- Police say a newly-licensed driver pushed the accelerator instead of the brake and crashed into his wife and mother-in-law who were cooking in the garage. Both women died at the scene. A 6-year-old relative who was trapped under the car was taken to the hospital.

It happened at the family's home on Gil Junior Lane at Armatta in southeast Houston.

According to police, the 49-year-old recent immigrant from Vietnam had just gotten his drivers license and was pulling into the garage Friday morning.

“In the garage were two females. It [the car] pinned the females between the car and the back wall of the garage,” said HPD Officer Jodi Silva.

The man behind the wheel had driven into his 41-year-old wife, 66-year-old mother-in-law and his 6-year-old nephew.

A Houston police officer who lives at the same house heard the noise and jumped into action, backing up the car, freeing the child and then performing CPR on the two women. He could not save them.

The driver was returned home after getting his driver's license.

Neighbors were stunned.

“Well, it’s devastating. I mean, I don’t know what they’re going through. You see this on the news all the time, you don’t think it’s gonna happen in your neighborhood,” said Javier Garza.

“I see them every day. At night they go for a walk around the block, they say, ‘Hi.’ I say, ‘Hi,’ back. Good neighbors,” said Martin Gonzales.

The injured boy was rushed to Memorial Hermann Hospital. Authorities said he is in serious but stable condition.

He is being treated for a collapsed lung and injured spleen.

Police took the driver in for questioning, but they don't expect to file charges against him.

加跟贴 发新贴一品 美好家园索引首页